Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Open for Business!

For my first post on this blog it seems appropriate to write about where the business is going and how it got started. My intention is to keep my clients, friends, and family up to date with my professional endeavours and, hopefully, to inspire you, the reader, with all kinds of ways to get involved in your food system! 

Now that you know my intention, I will admit that this first post is not nearly as professional as I promise future posts will be. Anyways, here's where I am going with this: 

Edible Landscape Solutions (ELS)  is a garden consultation business that can install raised garden beds, compost systems, and chicken coops. The clients are then invited to periodic workshops which serve as tutorials; teaching those involved how to grow and use their own food. 

The goal of ELS is not to turn every front lawn into a row cropping operation. The goal is to get people excited about growing their own food by creating dynamic gardens which incorporate annual crops into an ornamental landscape full of color and nutrients. 

This blog will highlight different projects that I am working on, advertise workshops that are coming up in the future, and serve as an online portfolio for those interested in a consultation. 

But how did this journey begin? (Warning: sentimental section ahead)

Well, I suppose the path which led to the creation of ELS begins on my Great Grandfather's farm in Landenberg, Pennsylvania (pictured left) and meanders around the inspiring people and teachers I have had in my life.

This farm gives me something to fight for. The experiences I have accumulated here has helped cultivate a massive sense of appreciation for nature and seeded my desire to protect and restore the balance of things. The first 13 summers of my life were spent exploring  the surrounding woods and creeks of this 48 acre piece of paradise. This farm is the reason why I love the smell of compost. Every time I close my eyes and smell a handful of casings from my worm bin, I am instantly taken back to my Pop-Pop's woods. I can see myself standing among the trees, inhaling the aroma of the wet forest floor. Now, I can see myself searching for insects to throw into my pet spider's web or perhaps more toads to keep safe in  the window well above the basement. 

Just as the farm gave me something to fight for, the following acknowledgements are made to those who taught me to fight:

It was my AP Environmental Science teacher in High School who opened my eyes to the injustices that humanity had inflicted on the earth and inspired me to pursue further education in the subject matter. Thank you, Mr. Holloway.

It was my college adviser who put the bug in my head that I might want to try my hand at growing my own food. Thank you, Liz. 

It was the Kids in the Garden program at the Student Farm that showed me that I could inspire the next generation of citizens to appreciate good food and biodiversity. Thank you, Carol and Maggie. 

It was the director of the Student Farm that showed me how to organize and mobilize a group of individuals, with the same vision, to achieve something great. Thank you, Mark.

It was the founder of F.A.R.M. Davis that taught me how to make a front yard farm, and that the best way to learn something is to just do it. Thank you, Robyn. 

It was my uncle who inspired me to start my own business and my grandfather who taught me the value of craftsmanship. Thank you, Robb. Thank you, Granddad. 

Finally, It was my mom who gave me the confidence to dream and do whatever I put my mind to. Thank you, Mom. 

To those reading this thinking, "Gee, I am rather disappointed I did not receive any mention," try not to be too upset. Those mentioned had particular relevance towards the creation of ELS in particular. Take solace in the fact that I may mention your name when/if I start a more personal blog. 

Until then, keep reading! 

Coming up next: mosaic stepping stones!



No comments:

Post a Comment